AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing allstudents for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID students aregenerally in the academic middle - B, C, andeven D students - who have the desire to go to college and the willingness towork hard. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculumbut are falling short of their potential.
They may be the first in their families to attend college,and/or from low-income or minority families.
Some AVID students may have special circumstances that areimpacting their success and receive support from the AVID program to get back ontrack.
A Sample Week in the AVID Elective
|AVID Curriculum||AVID Curriculum||Tutorials||Tutorials|| |
|Curriculum includes:||Tutorials include:|
| || |
WICOR stands for:
Click an element to learn more about it.(Adobe PDF Files)
1. Academic success in college-preparatory courses.
2. Enrollment in college-prep courses throughout high school toensure enrollment in a four-year college or university upon graduation.
1. I will maintain at least a 2.0 GPA and satisfactorycitizenship and attendance in all classes or will be placed on a probationcontract.
2. I will complete at least 10 hours of community service toearn my STAR Qualities Service seal.
3. I will maintain enrollment in rigorous, college-preparatoryclasses.
4. I will maintain an AVID three-ring binder with:
5. I will be an active learner, be prepared for all classes withall assigned work completed, take Cornell notesdaily and be an activeparticipant in all activities.
6. I will complete all homework assignments (commit to at leasttwo hours of homework every night).
7. I will participate in AVID tutorials at least twice a week. Iwill come to AVID class prepared for tutorial session with:
I will use critical thinking, inquiry and collaboration with myclassmates to create greater understanding about my point of confusion.
8. I will participate in AVID field trips and activities.
Students with a desire to be in the AVID elective class mustfirst go through and application and interview process. This process typicallyoccurs in January and February, with placement in the AVID elective beginningthe following school year.
If you are interested in learning more about the AVID program,please contact any of the following individuals: